Thursday, February 7, 2008

New York City's Automats

When I was about fourteen, through county extension, which meant 4-H work, I was picked to go on a week-long trip to New York City. I do not exactly remember how this came about, but I think I was picked as an alternate and selected late in the game. We were supposed to drive to the city, but I had missed the ride, and so Mom took me to a nearby airport, and I got to fly to the city. Now I had never flown in an airplane, which in this case turned out to be a propellar-driven plane. It was quite an experience for a kid off the farm, not well traveled, to be flying to the city. It was a clear day, and you could see the tiny roads and cars, and I was entranced. Suddenly, the plane banked and headed down. All I can remember was that it was going to crash, and I was going to die. Then we landed, and apparently I didn't die. Somehow I got from the airport, LaGuardia, probably by bus to my hotel and joined the other kids on this week- long adventure.

At some point we must have had free time, and I went with others to an Automat. They were something! There was a wall of chrome-encased small boxes with windows, and you could see all types of food in them. You put in the proper change, such as a nickel for a cup of coffee or a quarter for a piece of pie, the mechanism clicked, and you could open the door and take out the food you had selected, carry it to a counter or table and eat. What a wonderful adventure because you could choose anything! You could just have dessert or two hamburgers. It seemed to this naive young kid to be a wonderful adventure and invention.

At what point did the automats disappear? Were they too expensive, or did people get tired of them and move on to the next best restaurant idea? I never knew, but do miss the automat whenever I visit New York City. At least they have kept the New York State Building. Did you ever eat in an automat? Let me know. Happy travels!

2 comments:

sperlonga said...

I don't comment often, but I read your blogs. Ah, it's nice to "hear" from you. sigh. We miss you guys!!

C and J said...

Horn and Hardart Automats... They were the greatest! I first tried them at age six, and I still love the idea! just think... no sneeze shields needed, everything freshly stocked! Why don't we still have them?