Saturday, February 9, 2008

This Is Your Life!

I can see and hear Ralph Edwards say, "This is your life, ________." Then the poor sucker picked for that particular show had to come onto the stage and sit there while all kinds of things were revealed about his/her life. I think this show was first on radio and later became a hit on television. Each week we tuned in to listen to the life of a person unfold. Usually, everyone was in on the surprise except for the victim. You would hear a voice in the background, and the victim had to figure out who was talking. It could be a long forgotten teacher or relative or good friend that you no longer had seen for years. Of course, the audience enjoyed the whole show and eagerly awaited the next bit of information. In later years the victim was frequently an entertainer or movie star, and that was even better because we always want to know more stuff about them.

I thought about Edwards because I was reflecting about this blog and others that I read, and I realized that blogs are a way to tell about our lives. We do not tell them in an organized way but skip around from topic to topic. However, as we comment and write out our thoughts, our lives are interwoven in the dialogue. It is better than a diary, since readers can read and comment if they wish. I have been surprised to discover that I really look foward to the reader comments as they seem to validate my point or thought, or, question something said. This in turn makes me re-evaluate and maybe refine a point here and there. Since memory is very selective at best, it is helpful to have someone say, "I do not remember that event at all. I know it went ....."

In this age of almost instant communication, it is fun to write my life and thoughts and hear from you, the reader. Thanks for reading, and please stay with me since, "This is My Life."

No comments: