Friday, February 15, 2008

Naming your Global Positioning System

Last night in conversation with other travelers in our RV park we were talking at some point about Global Positioning Systems (GPS) or units. We have one that is portable and can be plugged into our car's or our motor home's cigarette lighter. Some people have built-in units in their vehicles because they probably have much newer vehicles than ours are. As we visited with the other travelers we discovered that everyone had named their GPS unit. We call our Maxine or Max for short. Other names were suggested and we heard of Betty and others but all were female names. I think that this is because the voice that is programmed into the unit is a female voice. This was not rock science on my part. But, I also refer to our vehicles in the female sense as well. This gets me to wondering whether you, the reader, names your vehicles and if you have a GPS unit, have you given it a name too? Do comment as I would love to hear from you on this very important speculation.

I really like Maxine and her ability to get us from one point to another when we are traveling. She does seem to get impatient with me when I do not turn exactly as she has suggested and then has to reconfigure. Some days I take a wrong turn just to hear her say, "Reconfiguring." When we are in new territory Maxine is a great help as we travel about. Happy travels!!!

No comments: