Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Can puppies be trained to walk while on a leash?

Maybe this entry should be, "Can puppies be trained?" Last night I took Max out for his evening stroll, and he literally ran me all over the place. He just bounded here and there like he was the energizer bunny. The good part was when he got put into his crate for the night, he slept through the night. This I appreciated for sure.

This morning, even though the temperature was about 32 degrees, Max and I went for the paper. I put his harness on and shortened his leash enough so that he could not wander but had to tend to the business of walking. Of course he rebelled. However, not wishing to be outdone by a puppy, I lifted his front feet off the ground, and he had to go along with me by running on his back feet. This system worked, sort of. Finally in desperation, I picked him up and moved quickly on to get the paper. With a repeat performance on the way back, we arrived with cold hands/feet and absolutely no success in making a puppy walk while on a leash. Any suggestions?

No comments: