Thursday, February 12, 2009

Weight gain and loss

I have been working to lose some weight, and this effort started about Thanksgiving. Some time before then I had topped the scales at 204 pounds and decided that enough fat on the land was enough. I quickly returned to my usual weight of 200 and then decided to make a goal of losing 15 pounds. It took about three months and surviving the holidays without too much weight gain, but I finally managed to get 15 pounds off. Since then it has stayed generally steady with a pound or two up or down. Yesterday imagine my delight when the scale registered 181. Of course, this morning it was back up a pound. So it goes. But the best reward of all is to be able to get into pants that are a size smaller and to really have room in these new pants.

I have had to give up carbohydrates and desserts. The desserts are the hardest part to give up for me. Wanting to be able to stay in my new clothes makes me continue to work at it, though. I think if I can reach the goal of 180, that will be enough and then the goal becomes to maintain my weight at that level. Some days the hunger pains are almost impossible to ignore and then the next day the scale gives me incentive to keep it under control.

Exercise here by walking frequently, or biking has helped in this process. Having the new puppy, Max has helped as well. Now if I could only get those abs of steel going. That really seems unlikely. Happy travels, and eat sparingly.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Congrats on the weight loss. The young people call abs of steel a "six pack." Bring on the stomach crunchers!!