Friday, February 20, 2009

Tax Time

This year we bought a tax program that could be put on the computer and then completed and sent directly to the government. I waited for 1099 and W-2 forms to arrive and then went to work on the computer. The program led me right through the process. I was glad that I had collected sales tax information, medical expenses, and donations. It was done in no time and sent directly with confirmation of receiving occurring shortly. Now we have to wait to see if the government agrees with my figures for the taxes overpaid to be placed in our checking account. This is the first time that I have tried to do taxes by this method, and it is really quite simple. In the past I have always done taxes by hand, and it took at least a month of work to complete and get mailed in. This computer method is so much easier.

I do wonder what would happen if something ever happened to the Internet, and we had to go back to older ways of doing things. It would be quite a disruption for sure, and much data would be lost. Since we do our banking by computer as well, it could be quite scary if it ever messed up. Happy travels.

No comments: