Sunday, February 15, 2009

Getting to be 70 years of age

I have not particularly been looking forward to being 70 years old. It does seem better than the alternative, even though I think that 70 is OLD. I was telling this to Michelle last night on the phone, and she said, "Grandad, seventy is not old, one hundred is old." I told her she was wonderful and deserved a special place in my heart. She was so excited at Christmas, and she kept saying, "I'm so excited!" It made the day very special to share it with her. I just love her attitude toward life. Thanks, Michelle!

My dad and his father both reached the age of 70 and then died at that age, so you can see why I might view 70 with some consternation. My older brother Maurice reached this milestone and has kept going, so I plan to follow his fine example. Our mom, who is currently 96, commented, "How do you think I feel?" It all depends upon your perspective.

Inside, I think I feel about 35 and try to keep active both mentally and physically. I think as long as your attitude is good and you manage to stay healthy, who knows how it will turn out. I will try to set a good example for all of you younger folks who will get to this milestone quicker than you think.

It has been great fun to celebrate my Valentine birthday and thanks to Jerry and Marlene, we will continue to celebrate it this next week by going to Dallas, TX to see the King Tut exhibition there. Max is going to camp/kennel. I get a vacation in that area, too. Happy travels, and age well everyone!

No comments: