Friday, February 20, 2009

Window for the saloon

Don, manager/owner of the Guadalupe River RV Park, has had his work camper men working hard to add on to the River Rock Saloon. Just south of the original building was a place where they stored wood, and this area was selected for the addition and is now being called by the men, "The Woodshed." It will double or triple the size of the saloon and has windows that look over the river on the south and the patio area to the west.

Recently, he asked me if I would make a stained glass window for the saloon to be put in one of the west windows. I was delighted and had been working on a concept when we talked and simplified the drawing. I thought a river scene with oak trees and deer would be delightful, but Don thought that it just needed words: "River Rock Saloon" and "Cold Beer." Well, he is the boss, so I went to work and completed the window in about five days of doing little else except glass work and walking Max. I also wanted to finish the glass piece before our trip to Dallas. I did think it was fun to make the 'Cold Beer' words in amber glass, as that was as close to beer in color as I could get. The other words are done in red glass.

By Wednesday afternoon it was installed. It measures 48 x 21.5 inches and is a big window. Fortunately, the weather cooperated so that I could finish the lead soldering outside. I was glad to see it up and permanent without any breakage of the glass. This can easily happen in such a large piece. Happy travels.

No comments: